Interactive Installation and Participatory Art Research Project. 2014.
Volker Kuchelmeister, Laura Fischer with Jill Bennett.
Veloscape is a participatory art research project about cycling in Sydney. It is an investigation of how the arts can generate environmentally beneficial behavioural change and influence the development of green infrastructure in urban environments. Veloscape locates this investigation within the context of Sydney’s unfolding transport infrastructure reforms, core to which is an expanding cycle network in the CBD. By enabling new patterns of mobility, these changes are generating a new geo-spatial politics over road use and public space in Sydney. They have also enabled new practices of place-making around which a range of vibrant activities and communities are taking shape. In light of these changes, Veloscape addresses the need for a greater understanding of the subjective dimensions of the Sydney cycling experience beyond the utilitarian and safety elements that are the focus of many other studies. As both an artistic intervention in the public domain and a research endeavour, Veloscape is exploring the unique perspective the cyclist has on the urban environment, and the spectrum of emotions and sensory stimuli which colours their experience.
As a socially engaged project, Veloscape has been designed to enable the participation of hundreds of Sydney cyclists. A range of tools and interfaces are being utilised to explore the physical, social, navigational and environmental triggers of their affective responses to the city. These include a specially designed biometric and sensor data logging device, hands-free photography and video, in situ voice recordings, annotated maps and GIS (Geographic Information System) software. A series of workshops and focus groups will also be staged. Through their involvement, the participating cyclists will both assist the team to generate useful quantitative and qualitative information of value to future urban design and urban planning endeavours, and be co-creators of a range of dynamic maps and visualisations through which that information can be made meaningful to the public.
- Project partners: Fisher, L. Greaves, J. Groves, A., Sokalik, S.,Kuchelmesiter, V., Bennet, J. and Fenner, F.
- Book chapter: The Veloscape Project: Cyclists Sensing the City.
Fisher, L., Kuchelmeister, V. (2017). In David Curtis (Eds.), Building Sustainability with the Arts. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Orange Regional Gallery (NSW) 30/11/2018 – 29/01/2019.
- Moree Plains Gallery (NSW) 05/10/2018 – 18/11/2018.
- Caboolture Regional Art Gallery (QLD) 04/08/2018 – 22/09/2018.
- Dogwood Crossing, Miles (QLD) 28/05/2018 – 17/07/2018.
- Art Collection and Art Gallery (NT) 02/03/2018 – 06/05/2018.
- Araluen Arts Centre (NT) 10/11/2017 – 18/02/2018.
- Geraldton Regional Art Gallery (WA) 04/08/2017 – 01/10/2017.
- Nautilus Arts Centre (SA) 01/03/2017 – 07/04/2017.
- Riddoch Art Gallery (SA) 09/12/2016 – 12/02/2017.
- Swan Hill Regional Art Gallery (VIC) 04/10/2016 – 27/11/2016.
- Geelong Art Gallery (VIC) 17/06/2016 – 21/08/2016.
- Contemporary Art Tasmania (TAS) 04/04/2016 – 15/05/2016.
- Plimsoll Gallery (TAS) 04/04/2016 – 15/05/2016.
- Burnie Regional Gallery (TAS) 29/01/2016 – 06/03/2016.
- People Like Us is a National Exhibitions Touring Support (NETS) Australia exhibition developed by UNSW Galleries that will tour 14 regional galleries between 2016 – 2019.
- UNSW Galleries, Sydney, 5 September – 7 November 2015.
- Experimental Thinking/Design Practices. Griffith University Art Gallery, Brisbane, QLD.18 September – 7 November 2015.
- Experimental Practice: Provocations In and Out of Design”, RMIT Design Hub, Melbourne, 11 – 30 May, 2015.
- Veloscape.org. Fisher, L. Greaves, J. Groves, A., Sokalik, S.,Kuchelmesiter, V., Bennet, J. and Fenner, F. Web interface that allows cyclists to map their affective responses to locations through which they ride in the Sydney CBD. Serves as both a data collection tool and a searchable database for the public. 2014.
- Sydney Design, Feral Experimental, Galleries UNSW, Sydney July 18 – August 30 2014.
- Sydney Design, MiniMaker Fair, Powerhouse Museum, August 16-17 2014.
- Sydney Rides Festival, Sydney , October 25 2014.