||Flexible Panoramic Display and Capture Platform
Hardware project, 2012.
Video documentation with platform utilised for Juxtaposition
- Custom Quartz Composer application for 360 degree point-of-view related projection mapping for pretty much any surface geometry and visual content. Separate editor and playback app.
- Custom Quartz Composer app to display panoramic images (in 2D or stereoscopic 3D) in point-of-view synchronisation with platform
- Custom Arduino code to interpret rotary encoder data for absolute positing and DC/stepper motor directional and speed control
- Custom Processing application to relay Arduino serial to OSC (Open Sound Control)
- Sturdy construction with 3 steel ball bearings and steel base plate to allow for manual rotation of the unit
- Electrical sliprings for continuous power while rotating the platform
- High resolution rotary encoder with absolute positioning information
- Compact size of base unit (140mm diameter, 100mm hight)
- Precision engineered with custom Z-printed parts
- Standard tripod mount (3/8" thread)
- Optional DC gear motor for rotation with speed and directional control. Can run on battery.
- Custom electronics (Arduino based) and firmware for rotary encoder interpretation, motor control, communication with computer
- OSC protocol and USB connection for computer control of unit
- Multiple custom made (Laser cut) aluminium plates for different configurations
- Can accomodate medium sized projectors, an Mac mini, iMac 27", digital photo or video camera, ...
Rotary Encoder and Motor control unit (l), bearings, slipring and encoder assembled (m), assembled unit with plate to mount a projector(r).
I'm currently working on an adaptation of Juxtaposition and a new piece for 360 degree point-of-view synchronised projection mapping. Then also will test the platform for automated capture of stereoscopic 3D digital panoramas.
Five usage scenarios:
- as a motorised panoramic tripod head with speed control to capture panoramic still images (2D and 3D) and motion control video panning
- as display platform for 360 degree projection mapped images with manual or motor controlled panning on pretty much any surface geometry
- as display platform for 360 degree visualisation on a smaller scale cylindrical rear projection screen (2D or 3D) with manual or motor controlled panning
- as display platform for 360 degree visualisation on a large scale cylindrical front projection screen (2D or 3D) with manual or motor controlled panning
- as display platform for 360 degree visualisation on monitor (2D or 3D) with manual or motor controlled panning
iMac as visualisation display (l), mounted projector
(m), cylindrical rear projection screen (r)
360 degree projection mapping on pretty much any geometry (l,m), as platform for a large scale cylindrical projection with point-of-view control (r)